The world famous Hallé Orchestra has several rehearsal and performance venues in Manchester, including the converted St Peter’s church in the Ancoats district, which is used for rehearsals, recordings, education workshops and small performances.
An extension to the 1859 church building was commissioned to accommodate all its users, including Hallé’s choirs and Youth Orchestra, with a global competition launched by RIBA.
The winning design, by architectural firm stephenson STUDIO, echoes the industrial past of the area and complements the original Grade II listed building, whilst making a bold statement with its striking angular features.
It was essential to get the colour and size of the extension’s new bricks exactly right. Working closely with the architects to ensure the new bricks harmonised with the church and surrounding buildings, we provided 60,000 bespoke handmade linear bricks for the new structure, which also features exposed brickwork throughout the interiors.
The bricks were supplied in a ‘Regal Blend’, created especially for this project, featuring a special combination of multi and weathered linear size bricks with natural shade variations of red to orange.
As well as matching the colour of the new bricks and surrounding buildings, Imperial produced many complicated specials, necessary to complete the deceptively simple ‘box’, whilst preserving the distinctive clean lines of the extension.
The multi RIBA award winning project cost £4.7million to build and was named ‘The Oglesby Centre at Hallé St Peter’s’, in honour of a major gift from The Oglesby Charitable Trust.
Image credits: Daniel Hopkinson